New Volunteer Opportunities: Developmental Disabilities, Emergency Medical Services, Planning & Water Environment Services

Main Content

Clackamas County Commissioners are seeking interested residents to serve on county Advisory Boards and Commissions (ABCs). These ABCs offer residents the opportunity to become very involved in specific activities and the goals of Clackamas County. 

Individuals interested in this opportunity can apply online or via a paper form that can be obtained from the Public & Government Affairs Department by calling 503-655-8751 or in person at the Public Services Building at 2051 Kaen Road in Oregon City.    

New ABC openings from the past week include:

Developmental Disabilities Council

This council has up to 10 openings for families and/or persons with Intellectual disabilities and developmental disabilities (ID/DD), each of which carries a three-year term. The Developmental Disabilities Council is an advisory group that meets four times per year the last Thursday of the month, Jan/April/Aug/Oct from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. to advise Clackamas County’s Developmental Disabilities Director about programs and services for individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities. Members are appointed by the Clackamas County Board of County Commissioners. The group advocates both locally and at the state level on issues related to individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities.

The deadline for applications is Feb. 28. For more information, please contact Amy Butler,, or 503-502-5745.

Emergency Medical Services Council

This council advises the Board of County Commissioners and the Public Health Division on matters relating to the ambulance service plan and pre-hospital emergency medical services (EMS). This Council has one vacancy at this time, which carries a three-year term. The available role needing representation is:

  • Advanced Life Support Paramedic currently providing prehospital care in Clackamas County

For more information regarding the Clackamas County EMS Council, please visit their webpage

Members of the EMS Council meet quarterly and discuss matters related to the organization and running of emergency medical services in the county, and considers proposals from members, guests, and related subcommittees. The Council then advises the Board of County Commissioners on these and other EMS related matters. Applicants that are part of a PSAP in Clackamas County or serve as an Emergency Physician in Clackamas County are encouraged to apply. 

The deadline for applications is Dec. 30. For more information, contact Bill Conway, EMS Coordinator, at

Planning Commission

This council is seeking two volunteers interested in serving on its Planning Commission.  To help ensure the Planning Commission represents the entire County, applicants from all geographic areas of the County are encouraged to apply.

The nine-member Planning Commission advises the Board of County Commissioners on land use applications and land use legislation in accordance with the requirements of State law, the County Comprehensive Plan and the Zoning & Development Ordinance. Members do not need to be land use experts, but should be interested in engaging in discussions on countywide land use issues.  

Planning Commission members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners to four-year terms, which will expire on April 30, 2026.

The Planning Commission conducts its business through public hearings and work sessions usually scheduled at 6:30 p.m. on second and/or fourth Mondays of each month.  Meetings are typically held in the Development Services Building, 150 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City.  However, during the COVID-19 pandemic, these meetings are taking place virtually via the Zoom online platform.  

The deadline for application submittal is midnight on Sunday, Feb. 27. For more information about the Planning Commission, contact Darcy Renhard at

Water Environment Services Advisory Committee

This commission has six vacancies each of which carries a three-year term.  The twenty one-member commission provides input and makes recommendations on surface water and wastewater issues to Water Environment Services (WES) and the Board of County Commissioners (BCC).  Additionally, the committee:

  • Provides a forum for coordinating, learning, understanding and gathering input on surface water and wastewater plans, policies, rules and regulations, fees, and projects;
  • Reviews, discusses and makes recommendations on proposed operational and multi-zone capital improvements to the region's surface water and wastewater treatment systems, master plans, investment strategies and capital projects; and
  • Advises on and supports implementation of educational and public engagement strategies on issues relating to wastewater services, bio-solids management, surface water management, watershed health, erosion control and other related topics.

Ideally, members will have experience and/or background in wastewater management, watershed health and restoration, economic development, and/or surface water.  Members must reside or work within the WES service area.

WES serves the cities of Gladstone, Happy Valley, Johnson City, Milwaukie, Oregon City, West Linn, and the communities of unincorporated Clackamas County.

Committee membership includes:

  • 6 ratepayers from cities within the service area
  • 2 ratepayers from the unincorporated portion of Clackamas County who reside within the service area
  • 6 elected officials
  • 2 environmental representatives
  • 2 members of the development community
  • 2 business owners or managers from service area
  • 1 representative from the City of Milwaukie 

The following seats on the committee are open for recruitment with terms that run from Jan. 1, 2022, through Dec. 31, 2024 (three-year term):

  • 2 development community representatives 
  • 1 ratepayer from the City of West Linn
  • 1 environmental representative 
  • 2 ratepayers from unincorporated Clackamas County 

Application deadline is Dec. 21.  For more information, contact Lauren Haney at or 503-313-4243.