Fire at 8800 block of Otty Road / Asbestos awareness

Main Content

Clackamas County is releasing the following statement regarding the commercial fire that Clackamas Fire is responding to near the 8800 block of SE Otty Road: 

The building is owned by the Clackamas County Development Agency. The county has a contract in place to demolish the building and anticipated beginning that work over the next several weeks. Recent testing found the presence of asbestos in the building’s materials, and the contract was being adjusted for the proper disposal of those materials. 

Clackamas Fire has evacuated two local buildings in the immediate vicinity. The county is working to relocate and provide support for the affected individuals. 

About asbestos

The following information comes from the Department of Environment Quality:

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral. It is often found at low levels in some soils. Asbestos was used widely in building materials throughout the last century. The risk from asbestos in the air is low. In people with long-term exposure, it has been found to cause cancer and lung-related health issues. Most people are exposed to some asbestos over the course of their lives and very few have any health problems because of it.

How to safely dispose of ash and debris that may contain asbestos

  • Do not sweep or use a vacuum or power washer to clean up debris
  • Wear the best face mask you have — N95 preferred
  • Wear disposable gloves
  • Gently soak the debris with a spray bottle or garden hose
  • Pick up the debris with gloves on and place in a plastic garbage bag
  • Place the bag in a second garbage bag, tie it at the top and seal it. The bag may be placed in your household garbage.
  • Wash hands, arms and clothes when finished