An ordinance approved by the Board of County Commissioners in December 2022 clarifies that short-term (vacation) rentals are an allowed residential use in specific areas of unincorporated Clackamas County. The ordinance will be effective May 30, 2023.
This action follows Board approval in November 2022 of ZDO amendments to address issues that were remanded (sent back) to the county by the state Land Use Board of Appeals.
The approved ordinance will:
- Add a definition of “short-term rental” to ZDO Section 202, Definitions.
- Add “short-term rental” as an allowed use of a dwelling unit or guest house in all zoning districts where dwelling units or guest houses are allowed, except for:
- EFU, TBR, and AG/F districts and
- Urban or rural reserves where state law prohibits allowing new uses that were not allowed when the reserves were designated.
- Amend ZDO Section 833, Guest Houses, to remove text that specifically prohibits using a guest house as a source of rental income and replace it with text that clearly allows the rental of a guest house on a short-term basis. Specific facilities allowed and not allowed in guest houses are also being clarified.
Meetings and Updates
|Dec. 8, 2022||BCC Business Meeting
Approval of ordinance allowing for short-term rentals in specified areas, effective May 30, 2023.
|Nov. 2, 2022||BCC Public Hearing
on proposed Zoning & Development Ordinance (ZDO) amendments to respond to findings of error in the amendments intended to allow short-term rentals in unincorporated Clackamas County.
|Sept. 8, 2022||BCC Public Hearing
Board of Commissioners repeals regulations on short-term rentals.
This repeal removes language in the County Code that established business regulations for short-term rentals. This repeal does not affect the following:
|June 30, 2022||BCC Public Hearing
Board of Commissioners delays implementation of regulations until July 1, 2023
|June 23, 2022||BCC Public Hearing
|May 10, 2022||Board Issues Session|
|May 4, 2022||Board Policy Session|
|March 30, 2021||Board Policy Session|
|Dec. 9, 2020||BCC Land Use Hearing|
|Nov. 25, 2020||BCC Business Meeting and Public Hearing
Second reading on establishing a registration program and regulations in the County Code
|Nov. 23, 2020||Planning Commission meeting and public hearing|
|Nov. 9, 2020||Planning Commission Work Session|
|Nov. 5, 2020||BCC Business Meeting and Public Hearing
First reading on establishing a registration program and regulations in the County Code; public comments welcome
|Oct. 13, 2020||Board Policy Session, File ZDO-273: Short-Term Rentals|
|March 11, 2020||BCC Policy Session: Discussion of Feedback on Draft Short-term Rental Regulations|
|Feb. 13, 2020||BCC Business Meeting|
|Jan. 30, 2020||BCC Business Meeting|
|Jan. 14, 2020||BCC Policy Session: Preparation for Short-Term Rental Amendments 1st Reading|
|Oct. 22, 2019||BCC Policy Session|
|Sept. 25, 2019||BCC Policy Session|
|Aug. 6, 2019||BCC Policy Session|
|June 11, 2019||BCC Policy Session|
|June 10, 2019||Planning Commission
Agenda Packet Video