Deputies help save baby at mall using CPR; parents invite them to hospital for photo 'of the guys who saved her life'


News release from: Clackamas County Sheriff's Office

Posted: Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018, 1:20 p.m.

Please reference CCSO Case # 18-026884

Deputies visit newborn in hospital Deputies visit newborn in hospital Deputies visit newborn in hospital Deputies visit newborn in hospital Mother and child Mother and child


On Sunday, Oct. 7, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office deputies visited the infant they'd saved a week earlier using CPR at Clackamas Town Center. Photos and surveillance video are attached, and interview opportunities are available for news outlets.

Shortly after noon on Sunday, Sept. 30, deputies received an urgent call from Clackamas Town Center. A week-old infant, Audrey Harmon, had stopped breathing in the portrait studio at JCPenney.

Deputies Zacharkiw (pronounced "za-KARK-ee"), Olson, and Russell responded, running through the mall to the portrait studio. They found Baby Audrey pale and unresponsive. Authorities believe she had choked on fluids. The parents were distraught. The mother had called 911 while the father and a number of Good Samaritans made the first attempts at infant CPR and assisted the parents.

Deputies immediately went to work.

Deputy Zacharkiw performed chest compressions while Deputy Olson checked the infant's airway with his finger. Deputy Russell stabilized Audrey’s head, keeping her neck arched and airway open. Deputy Zacharkiw turned Audrey over on her stomach and performed a burping chest pat to remove fluid from the baby's airway. After he flipped Audrey back over, Deputy Russell used a Bulbous nose sucker to extract fluid from the infant's nose.

Clackamas Fire District #1 paramedics arrived about two minutes later and took over CPR.

Baby Audrey was transported to OHSU. At this writing she remains in intensive care, but her condition is steadily improving.

On Oct. 7, Audrey's parents, Kaylob Harmon and Jessie Siefer, invited Deputies Zacharkiw, Olson, and Russell to visit Audrey at OHSU and take a group photo.

"Kaylob told us he wanted a picture to show Audrey one day of the guys who saved her life," reported Deputy Zacharkiw. "It was unbelievably heartwarming to be invited back, and amazing to see how far she has progressed since last Sunday. Shortly after we left, Kaylob texted me a few more pictures, excited that the EEG leads had been removed from Audrey’s head."

Incident video

Media Opportunity

To set up interviews with Audrey's parents or the involved deputies, please contact PIO Sgt. Brian Jensen.


News-release archive

Sgt. Brian Jensen
Clackamas County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Unit