Deputies douse stolen-car suspect, take him safely into custody following destructive high-speed chase

News Release from: Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Office

Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 3:40 p.m.



Booking photo: Garrett Young, 26On Sunday morning (Nov. 15), deputies used a creative method to flush out a suspect following a dangerous and destructive high-speed chase -- during which the suspect crashed a stolen car into a PGE power box before crashing into a chain-link fence -- followed by a four-and-a-half-hour standoff.

At about 5:57 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 15, a Clackamas County Sheriff's Office deputy in a Patrol cruiser noticed a maroon Saturn station wagon traveling at a high rate of speed on SE Bell St. Driving conditions were rainy and unsafe.

The deputy turned to pursue and activated overhead emergency lights to initiate a traffic stop. The suspect vehicle -- which turned out to be stolen -- then quickly accelerated in an attempt to flee. The deputy made chase, and was soon joined in the pursuit by other patrol vehicles.

The suspect driver -- Garrett Young, 26 years old, with no known address -- led deputies on a dangerous chase that traveled east on SE Overland and proceeded north on SE 82nd Ave. toward Johnson Creek. Suspect Young reportedly lost control of the vehicle through intersections and corners -- at one point driving the vehicle onto the curb on the northwest end of the intersection of SE 82nd and Johnson Creek Blvd., destroying a PGE power box in the process.

Young then reportedly drove the vehicle onto the parking lot of the Johnson Creek Fred Meyer, hitting multiple curbs in the parking lot and blowing out the stolen vehicle's tires before traveling onto Johnson Creek Blvd., turning north on SE Bell, traveling into the oncoming lane and crashing into a chain-link fence.

Suspect Young then exited the vehicle -- leaving behind two passengers. A deputy attempted to use a Taser on Young, who leaped a fence, rolled down an embankment, and finally climbed onto the roof of the Oregon Worsted Co. -- where he remained for the next several hours.

During the standoff, the Clackamas County Hostage Negotiation Team (HNT) deployed to the scene and attempted to talk the subject off the roof. Clackamas Fire District #1 was dispatched to the scene to assist. Ladders were propped up against the building to give Mr. Young a way to safely climb down from the roof. When he moved to a flat part of the roof (pictured here), where he had no danger of falling off, deputies came up with a creative solution to safely flush out Garrett Young: Using a hose, they got Young soaking wet. Eventually he became uncomfortable and climbed down from the roof of his own accord to be taken into custody.

Garrett Stephan Young was taken to the hospital for an evaluation (he was reportedly wet but uninjured) and then transported to Clackamas County Jail and booked on a long list of charges that included Recklessly Endangering, Reckless Driving, Criminal Mischief, Criminal Trespass, Unauthorized Use of a Vehicle, and Attempt to Elude a Police Officer, among other charges. Bail was set at $59,500. His full booking info is here.

A booking photo is linked above. 


News-release archive

Contact Info:
Sergeant Nathan Thompson
Office of Public Information
Clackamas County Sheriff's Office