UPDATED: Officer-involved shooting during Jan. 28 SWAT standoff on SE Concord


News Release from: Clackamas Co. Sheriff's Office

Posted: Jan. 28, 2016, 5:05 p.m.


UPDATE (Monday, Feb. 1, 9:15 a.m.)

The deceased is identified as Christopher Kalonji, age 19.


Detectives from the Clackamas County Major Crimes Team continue to investigate the officer-involved shooting that occurred yesterday (Thursday, Jan. 28) at the Holly Acres Apartments in Oak Grove. The investigation is expected to take several weeks to complete.

An autopsy was conducted today by the Oregon State Medical Examiner. We will release the Medical Examiner's findings when they are completed and available.

However, we have been asked by the family to delay the release of this deceased's identity so that they can complete notifications to relatives that live outside of the United States. We expect to be able to release the identity early next week. 
Please reference CCSO Case # 16-2536.

EARLIER (Jan. 28, 7:30 p.m.)

The subject in today's SWAT standoff has died at the hospital.

The name of the deceased will be released pending family notifications.

The State Medical Examiner will release cause of death following an autopsy.

The deputies involved in the shooting are now on paid administrative leave -- which is standard practice following an officer-involved shooting.

The incident remains under investigation.

EARLIER (Thursday, Jan. 28, 5:05 p.m.)

At approximately 7:35 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2016, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Patrol deputies responded to 3710 SE Concord. Dispatch had received a report of a 19-year-old man who was armed with a rifle -- and had reportedly threatened family members with that rifle.

Deputies soon determined that the subject was in a mental-health crisis. They immediately called for mental health personnel from the Behavioral Health Unit, as well as police negotiators.

A conversation was initiated with the subject that went on for about two-and-a-half hours.

During this time, members of the Clackamas County Interagency Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) arrived and took over the scene.

The man eventually brandished the rifle, resulting in deputies firing at the man. The man retreated into the apartment, barricading himself in one of the rooms.

Deputies spent hours attempting to get the subject to surrender, including the deployment of tear gas and use of an explosive breaching charge on the door to reach the man.  

At about 3:45 p.m. deputies were able to safely take the subject into custody.  

His specific condition is unknown, but he is suffering from gunshot wounds. American Medical Response transported the subject to a local hospital.

The investigation has been turned over to the Clackamas County Major Crimes Team.


News-release archive

Contact Info:
Sergeant Dan Kraus
Office of Public Information
Clackamas County Sheriff's Office