Veterans Benefits

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for VA benefits?
The best way to figure out whether you're eligible for veterans' benefits is to speak to a veterans service officer.  Veterans service officers can explain eligibility requirements for various state and federal benefits.  If you decide to apply they can help you though the entire claims process.

How do I schedule an appointment with a veterans service officer?
If you are a Clackamas County resident, call 503-650-5631.

How do I obtain my DD-214 discharge papers?
Visit the National Archives and Records Administration website to request your records online, or come into the Clackamas County Veterans Service Office to fill out Standard Form-180.

Am I considered to be a veteran?
Veterans are people who have served one day of active duty in the military.

Who can I contact about VA education benefits?
The VA Muskogee Regional Office manages claims for educational benefits. They can be reached at 1-800-442-4551.

Are there any veterans' homes in Oregon? 
Yes, there are two Oregon Veterans' Homes, located in The Dalles and Lebanon. These homes are run by the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs.

Where can I find emergency financial assistance?
The Clackamas County Veterans Service Office doesn't provide emergency financial assistance. Emergency financial assistance is sometimes available from the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs OVEFAP program. If you have questions about this, please call our office at 503-650-5631.