School Based Health Centers
School Based Health Centers (SBHCs) are places for students to go to receive confidential medical services in their schools. Each SBHC is staffed by a qualified medical professional and focuses on preventing illness and promoting healthy behaviors. Benefits of SBHCs include the following:
- Improve access to quality physical, mental and preventive health services.
- Care for children and adolescents regardless of their ability to pay.
- Reduce high costs associated with inappropriate use of emergency rooms and unnecessary hospitalizations.
- Ensure services are age appropriate.
- Save parents time by reducing missed work hours.
- Keep students in class and ready to learn.
SBHCs’ services include:
- Diagnosing and treating injury & illness
- Comprehensive physical exams
- Well Child Checks
- Screenings (blood pressure & vision)
- Laboratory tests
- Mental or Emotional Health Services
- Alcohol & Drug Assessments
- Referrals to specialty services as needed
No student is denied services. Insurance is billed whenever possible; however, students and families are not charged for services.
Clackamas County currently operates three SBHCs
|Canby High School
Started in 2008 the Canby SBHC is now staffed full-time by a Certified Nurse Practitioner.
|Oregon City High School
Staffed by a full-time Certified Nurse Practitioner inpartnership with the Oregon City School District.
|Sandy High School
Beginning September 2012, the Oregon Trail School Based Health Center is staffed full-time by a Nurse Practitioner during school hours.
Other SBHCs operating in Clackamas County
|Milwaukie High School
SBHC is operated by Outside In.
|Estacada High School
The Wade Creek Clinic is operated by Legacy Health Systems.
Are you interested in starting a SBHC at your school?
Visit the State of Oregon's SBHC program to learn more about the SBHC model, certification requirements, and the process to open a SBHC. Data and reports are also available here.
You may also contact Clackamas County's SBHC Program Coordinator, Jamie Zentner (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.