Livestock and Animal Crimes Investigations

The Sheriff's Office investigates animal abuse, neglect, abandonment and theft as well as criminal mischief involving animals within the unincorporated areas of Clackamas County.

The Sheriff's Office responds to hundreds of calls per year involving cattle, horses, sheep, goats, pigs, domestic fowl, donkeys and llamas; exotic animals such as emus, buffalo, camels, zebras and reptiles; and domestic pets such as dogs and cats.

On occasion, the Sheriff's Office utilizes volunteers who are willing to adopt or temporarily provide a home for abandoned or stray livestock animals.

For other issues such as barking dogs, dogs at large and welfare issues involving dogs, please call Clackamas County Dog Services at 503-655-8628. (Clackamas County currently has no resource for problems with feral cats.)

For dead deer or elk on a Clackamas County-maintained roadway, contact Clackamas County Roads at 503-650-3262. Only deer and elk will be picked up.

The Livestock and Animal Control Unit is also dedicated to educating the public about the proper care of a variety of animals.

Wildlife Issues

Oregon State Police
Fish & Wildlife Dept.

U.S. Dept. Of Agriculture Wildlife Services
866-4USDA-WS (866-487-3297)

Oregon Dept. of Fish & Wildlife

Animal Services

Critter Gitter (503-253-5584) provides the following services for a fee:

  • Live capture and relocation of problem wildlife (exceptions: rodents, deer, elk and coyotes)
  • Transport of injured and deceased pets
  • Rental of live traps for problems with feral cats

*Note: Critter Gitter does not respond to problems with stray, loose or barking dogs

Missing Livestock

Clackamas County Dispatch Non-Emergency

Oregon Dept. Of Agriculture
Animal Health and Identification