Dog Licenses and Laws
- Purchase New Dog License
- Multiple Dog License (four or more dogs)
- Renew Dog License
- Dog Status Change Form
- License Request Form
- License Lookup
- $5 off a year if your dog is microchipped and you provide a microchip number
- 25% off per year if your dog is a certified Canine Good Citizen (this discount must be obtained in person at the Animal Adoption and Education Center) -- American Kennel Club: Canine Good Citizen program
- If you own four or more dogs, you may be eligible for a multiple dog license. For more information, call 503-655-8628.
Why should I get my dog licensed?
- Around the clock notification at your home phone number or emergency number if you lose your licensed pet and someone finds it, eliminating searches, newspaper ads, etc.
- A license tells everyone that your pet is yours and not a homeless stray.
- Licensing helps pay for the care of homeless animals while attempts are made to find them adoptable homes.
- It provides emergency medical care while in the care of Clackamas County, should your pet be found injured.
- It helps the County to protect neighborhoods from dangerous dogs and helps to investigate dog bites.
- It funds investigations of animal cruelty, abuse, abandonment and neglect.
- It supports efforts to find good homes for homeless stray dogs through our active adoption and foster programs.
- SOS — Support Our Shelter — licenses and donations support our efforts to care for lost or abused animals.
- You will be notified by telephone if your dog should be impounded.
- Every person owning or keeping a dog in Clackamas County must purchase a license:
- when the dog is six months of age or grows its permanent canine teeth, which ever comes first
- within 30 days of becoming owner or keeper,
- within 30 days of moving into the County.
What does it cost to license my dog?
When are license renewals due?
License renewals are due by the last day of the month in which the license expires. Beginning the first day of the following month a $10 per license late fee will be levied.
What information do I have to give you to purchase a license?
You must have a valid rabies innoculation certificate issued and signed by the veterinarian at the time of licensing. Rabies vaccinations must be valid for the entire licensing period.
To obtain the discounted license rate for altered dogs, you must have a spay or neuter certificate with a complete description of the dog and the date of the surgery.
Where can I get a license?
If you live within the limits of the Cities of Lake Oswego or Happy Valley, you will need to obtain a license for your dog from your local city.
- County Laws (Title 5, Animals): Clackamas County dog owners must obey county code.
- County Laws on Preventive Fences: It is unlawful for dogs to run at large in Clackamas County. Any Peace Officer or Dog Services Officer may impound a dog that is found running at large.
- State Laws on Disease Control
- State Laws on Animal Control: A dog is a public nuisance per ORS 609.095 if it...
- Chases vehicles or people;
- Damages or destroys property of others;
- Scatters garbage;
- Trespasses on private property;
- Disturbs any person by frequent or prolonged noise, or
- Is a female in heat and running at large.
- State Laws on Dogs and Livestock
- No dog owner or keeper of a dog shall permit a dog to chase, kill, wound or injure livestock not belonging to the owner or keeper of such dog.
- The owner or keeper of a dog that has injured or killed livestock is responsible for any amount up to double the amount of damages.
- Any dog (whether licensed or not) which; while off premises owned or under the control of its owner; kills, wounds, or injures any livestock not belonging to the master of such dog is a public nuisance and may be killed immediately by any person. (ORS 609.150)