Services Departments Government

Get a Food Handler Card

The term "food handler" means those persons involvled in the preparation or service of food in a restaurant or food service facility licensed under ORS 624.020 or 624.320. This includes, but is not limited to, cooks, wait staff, dishwashers, bartenders, or bus persons.

An Oregon Food Handler Card is valid for three years and is accepted in all counties throughout Oregon. If you have a valid manager training certificate, it’s accepted in lieu of a food handler certificate until it expires. Food handler cards issued from other states are not valid in Oregon.

It costs $5.00 to take the food handler test and another $5.00 when you have passed to receive your card. The total cost is $10.00. To obtain your food handler card, you must pass the Food Handler test. A passing grade is 75%.

Food Safety - Your Self-Training Manual (Food Handler Manual)

As of Sept. 4, 2012, all food handler manuals and testing materials have been updated. Manuals are available in these languages:

Hard copies of the food handler’s manual are available at our office, Public Service Building, 2051 Kaen Rd., third floor in suite 367, Oregon City.

Online Testing

You may take the test online at and print your card once you pass. You may also take the test in person at our office Monday through Thursday 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Our staff issues cards only for tests passed in person.

Where can I take the Food Manager Certification Course?

In Oregon, food manager certification isn’t required by law. However, a Food Manager Certification Course can provide the information necessary to keep your food facility safe. The Oregon Restaurant Education Foundation offers a course with their SafeServ Seminars. For more information, call 1-800-462-0619. Food Manager Certification satisfies the “Demonstration of Knowledge” and “Person in Charge” requirements of the Oregon Food Code, is valid for 5 years and also satisfies the Food Handler Certification.

To serve you better, please take the time to give us your feedback by clicking here.

Share this page

Public Services Building

Contact Us

Public Services Building
2051 Kaen Road
Oregon City, OR 97045

(503) 742-5300