Services Departments Government

Gatekeeper Program

gatekeeper logo

The Gatekeeper Program is designed to help at-risk older adults and persons with disabilities learn about resources and supports that can help them stay as independent and healthy as possible. This may include medical care, food assistance or delivery, help with money management, transportation, or other services. 

Who are Gatekeepers?

Gatekeepers are people who come in to contact with at-risk older adults and persons with disabilities through their everyday work or day-to-day activities.  People like meter readers, bank tellers, letter carriers, pharmacists, newspaper deliverers, neighbors, friends, or family members - the list is virtually endless. 

What do Gatekeepers do?

Gatekeepers keep a watchful eye and attentive ear. Call the Clackamas County Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) at 503-650-5622 to make a confidential referral if they have identified any warning signs that indicate a vulnerable adult may be in need of assistance.

Is that all there is to it?

That’s it! Gatekeepers are not expected to be social workers or counselors. You don’t need to know a lot of details about programs and services. After you are trained to recognize warning signs of older adults and people with disabilities at-risk and learn how to make referral. You'll be ready to be the “first line of defense” against situations that may be harmful and preventable. 

What happens next? 

Clackamas County Aging and Disability Resource Center staff, with assistance from County health agencies and other social service organizations, will assess the situation, and assist in providing whatever help is required for the individual. 

Get Training!

To learn more, to schedule training for your organization, or to learn how to become a Gatekeeper Trainer, contact the Clackamas County Gatekeeper Coordinator at 503-650-5737. There is no charge for this service.

Be a Gatekeeper – make a difference one caring call at a time!

Share this page

Public Services Building

Contact Us

Social Service
2051 Kaen Road
Oregon City, OR 97045

(503) 655-8640
fax: (503) 650-5722

Monday through Thursday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm