Commercial vehicle permits support county and state residents and businesses by helping to ensure the safe and efficient travel of commercial motor vehicles on public roadways.
Many commercial vehicles require an over-dimensional permit, which allows a motor carrier to safely move a load that exceeds the maximum size and/or weight limits in state law. Permits can be provided for a single trip or for continuous operations. A permit spells out the conditions for moving the load, including routes, so the over-dimensional loads can be moved safely without mishaps.
- Continuous Operational Variance Permit
- Continuous Trip Permit
- Single Trip Permit
- Seasonal Transportation Operations Permit
- Clackamas County Road Permit
Vehicle permits (issued for an individual vehicle to travel on state or county roads)
Continuous Operational Variance Permit (COVP)
- Annual permit that authorizes travel on Oregon state highways, county roads and Portland streets for overweight, over-height, over-width, over-length, extended weight, heavy haul and other unusual truck loads. (Permit applications for single-trip movements should be submitted to ODOT.)
- Includes routing plans, road and bridge restrictions, pilot vehicle requirements and other conditions
- Must be obtained before movement of the oversize load in Oregon
- Issued through Clackamas County and six other agencies
Continuous Trip Permit (CTP)
- For operations performed routinely on state highways
- Vehicles and loads conform to established width, height, length and weight requirements
- Valid for up to one year from date issued
- Issued by Clackamas County for ODOT. To apply, contact Debi Normand at firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-742-4771 or on the 3rd floor of the Development Services Building, 150 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City, OR 97045.
Single Trip Permit (STP)
- For 1 movement over a specified route
- Non-divisible load – weight or dimensions do not conform to legal weight or size limits
- Valid for up to 10 days from date issued
- Only issued by ODOT Motor Carrier Transportation Division, Over-Dimension Operations, 503-373-0000
Seasonal Transportation Operations Permit (STOP)
- A voluntary, no-cost permit to help maximize the safety for trucks on the road and minimize possible road damage from heavier commercial vehicles.
- Used primarily during the Christmas tree season.
- Tree farms in Clackamas County request permits that identify their tree loading/staging sites.
- MCSP staff determine the best routes and issue a permit for those routes that the grower can distribute to haulers picking up the trees.
- To apply, contact Debi Normand at email@example.com, 503-742-4771 or on the 3rd floor of the Development Services Building, 150 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City, OR 97045.
Clackamas County Road Permit
A blanket permit issued by Clackamas County for a motor carrier company to allow its vehicles to use a specific roadway. To apply, contact Debi Normand at firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-742-4771 or on the 3rd floor of the Development Services Building, 150 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City, OR 97045.