Services Departments Government

Barking Dog Resolution Program

How to address barking

Whether it is your dog or your neighbors’, it is unlawful for a dog owner to allow a dog to cause a continuous annoyance by making prolonged sounds that can be heard by neighbors. 

Continuous annoyance is defined in county code as: 

Our Barking Resolution Program helps solve barking conflicts through mediation and agreement. Our goal is to resolve the issue as quickly and amicably as possible with both the complainant and the dog owner. 

Submitting a complaint

You can submit a complaint about a barking dog, or call 503-655-8628 for more information. Anonymous complaints are not accepted.  

When submitting a complaint, you must submit the following information: 

We will then send the dog owner a letter informing them that we have received a barking complaint. We'll explain the barking ordinance and include a packet of information on how to help reduce barking. We will also send you a copy of the letter and a barking log.

The dog owner will have 10 days to try to fix the problem. We will ask you to keep a log for those 10 days, tracking when and for how long the dog(s) bark. 

If the problem isn’t resolved in the time allowed by the ordinance, we will ask you to submit a second barking complaint. From there we move to mediation with the Dispute Resolution Center

If violations continue, the report may be referred to a Dog Services officer for further investigation and possible citation.

Share this page

Dog Services

Contact Us

Animal Adoption & Education Center
13141 SE Highway 212
Clackamas, OR 97015

Fax: 503-557-2829

Adoption Viewing Hours:
Tuesday – Saturday
11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Administrative Offices:
Monday - Saturday
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.