Adopt-A-Road Terms & Provisions
Terms and Provistions of the Adopt-A-Road Program
The applicant organization and its participants agree as follows:
- We agree to pick up litter on the segment of road described in the permit.
- We agree to pick up litter at the adopted location at least twice per calendar year. All activities will occur during daylight hours. Dates will be selected at least one week in advance after coordination with Department staff.
- We agree to confine the work area between the edge of the travelled portion of the road and the outer shoulder of the right-of-way boundary. Participants will not pick up litter or perform any landscape activities in the road median unless specifically permitted. Participants shall not perform any work in the traveled portion of any road.
- We agree to place all litter in trash bags. The trash bags and any bulky items will be left along the shoulder or in the ditch away from the traveled portion of the roadway.
- We agree to conduct safety training for all participants prior to commencement of work, and will review safe work practices with all participants prior to every work session.
- We agree to install temporary traffic warning signs and devices as specified in the permit prior to commencement of work.
- We agree to obtain a signed release from liability statement from each participant prior to commencing each clean up event.
- We agree to provide adequate adult supervision for all participants between 12 and 18 years of age. No one under 12 years of age will be allowed on site. We agree to provide release of liability from the guardian or parent of each participant between the ages of 12 and 18.
- We agree to pick up and return equipment or supplies borrowed from the Department during regular business hours within one week of their use.
- We agree to leave in place any hypodermic needles or material(s) that might be hazardous, too large or too heavy to be safely moved by hand and report the location of said materials to the Department.
The Department of Transportation and Development Agrees to:
- Assist in identifying a suitable location for adoption.
- Inspect all requested adoption locations to evaluate sight distance, vehicle speeds, traffic volumes, adequate shoulder width or other safety conditions. The Director, or operation or traffic engineering administrator retains the right to deny any location for adoption because of safety considerations.
- Provide high visibility vests, temporary traffic safety signs or devices as needed and instructions in their use, safety training material and trash bags.
- Remove and dispose of filled trash bags from the adopted road(s).
- Arrange for removal of large heavy material, hypodermic needles or hazardous material from the adopted road(s).
- Erect a sign or otherwise recognize your clean up efforts. Roadway signs will be erected only for groups that agree to adopt-a-road(s) for a minimum of two (2) years.