One of Clackamas County's strategic priorities is to promote safe, healthy and secure communities. We recognize that many residents are uninsured or underinsured for health care coverage. We've teamed up with the National Association of Counties (NACo) to make it easier for residents to stay healthy and save money.
Free discounts on prescription drugs (human and pet)
Clackamas County is a NACo member, so our residents are eligible to enroll in a free program to receive discounts on prescription drugs. Anyone, insured or not, can participate and may be able to save money.
If you are a resident of the county and want to use the NACo Prescription Discount Card Program, follow these simple steps:
- Click on the NACo Prescription Discount Card Program webpage.
- Select "Print a Card Now!"
- When prompted, enter your zip code.
- Provide your first name, last name, and an email address, along with any immediate family members you'd like covered.
- Select "Click Here" on the following Thank You page.
- Print out the sheet with your card on it.
And you're done! The process takes less than 2 minutes. It's that easy to enroll in this free program and start saving money on prescription drugs immediately. While individual cards are suggested, only one card is needed per family.
Alternatively, residents can call 877-321-2652 (toll-free) to sign up and have a card mailed to them. Callers will reach CVS Caremark, which works with NACo to administer the program.
More than 68,000 pharmacies accept the discount card nationally, including many large pharmaceutical chains. At least 50 pharmacies within Clackamas County accept the card, including locations in Boring, Canby, Clackamas, Estacada, Gladstone, Happy Valley, Lake Oswego, Milwaukie, Molalla, Oak Grove, Oregon City, Sandy, Tualatin, Welches, West Linn, and Wilsonville. A list of participating pharmacies is on the program webpage.
Savings range based on store and medication, but on average, card users save 24% off the regular retail price for a prescription. If a resident has health insurance, they can alternatively use the card in case it offers a greater discount.
The card can be used in some cases for discounts on pet medications, typically when the medication can treat human conditions. More information on this is available on the NACo Pet Medications webpage.
Please see the NACo FAQ page for additional information.
Low-cost discounts on health and dental services
Also through NACo, Clackamas County residents can sign up for discounts for two more medical care programs:
- NACo Health Discount Program: Offers savings on various medical services and devices including eye exams, eyeglass frames, LASIK/PRK corrective surgery, diabetic supplies, prepaid lab testing, hearing appointments, and hearing aids.
- NACo Dental Discount Program: Offers savings of 15 to 50% on most dental procedures - including routine check-ups, fillings, crowns and braces - from a network of 114,000 dentists and specialists.
Each of these programs costs $7/person or $9/family per month. To enroll, and for more information, visit the programs' page.
Go live healthy!
All three programs listed above are part of NACo's Live Healthy initiative. Please note that none of the three programs are insurance, a health insurance policy, a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan or a qualified health plan under the Affordable Care Act.
Clackamas County thanks NACo for its coordination and is happy to promote the program to its residents. If you have any questions, please contact Dylan Blaylock at 503-742-5917.
Other ways to save
The State of Oregon also sponsors a prescription discount program through the Oregon Prescription Drug Program.