If you prepare or serve food in a restaurant or other food facility licensed under ORS 624.020 or 624.320, you are required to get a food handler card. This includes, but is not limited to, cooks, wait staff, dishwashers, delivery drivers, and bus persons.
Food Handler Card Information
- Food service workers are required to get a food handler card within 30 days of beginning work (OAR 333-175)
- Childcare providers testing available at CCDS website or CCCCRR website
- The cost of the card is $10.00
- Valid for 3 years and can be used in all Oregon counties
- Food handler cards issued from other states and these private companies are not valid in Oregon
- A valid, non-expired Food Manager Certificate is an accepted alternative
How Can I Get a Card?
- Online: Oregon Food Handlers
- In person: At our office, Monday through Thursday 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Note there is a $5 fee to take the test (each time), plus a $5 fee for your initial card
- Replacement cards:
- Online cards: print for free, contact the provider directly for help
- In person: $5 for each duplicate card
Food Safety – Food Handler Manual
Food Handler Manuals are available online in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian and Korean.
Food Manager Certification
In Oregon, the food manager certification isn’t required by law.
Benefits of having a Food Manager Certification include:
- Satisfies the “Demonstration of Knowledge” and “Person in Charge” requirements of the Oregon Food Code
- Accepted in lieu of a Food Handler Card and valid for 5 years
- List of all valid Food Manager Training Courses accepted in Oregon
For more information about Food Handler Cards, call us at 503-655-8384.