Frequently Asked Questions

What is the typical tax change in Clackamas County this year?

Many property owners will still see their taxes increase close to the 3% expected with the typical 3% growth in assessed value. Some will see increases greater than 3% where districts levied more for existing bonded debt or passed new local option or bonded debt levies. Many will also see increases greater than expected where increasing real market values eliminated or reduced the savings provided by Measure 5's limits. Others will see increases less than 3% where taxing districts levied less for local options, bonded debt, or paid debt off.

Area voters approved several money measures that will be reflected on tax statements this year.

Some of these increases may be offset by the districts paying off or reducing levies for old bond measures.

  • The Gresham-Barlow School District voters approved new bonded debt with a rate of .98¢ per thousand for safety, technology and educational & vocational opportunities.
  • Lake Oswego School District voters approved new bonded debt with a rate of .95¢ per thousand for upgrades, modernizing and to improve safety and technology.
  • Portland School District will see an increase of $1.06 per thousand for new voter approved bonded debt for improving health and safety, along with modernizing and repair of existing facilities.
  • Sherwood School District voters approved new bonds for safety, curriculum, and building improvements, which resulted in an increase of $3.87 per thousand.
  • The Tigard-Tualatin School District voters approved new bonded debt with a rate of $1.46 per thousand for safety, technology and overcrowding.
  • Clackamas County Voters approved a new bonded debt measure for its' public safety emergency radio system at 10¢ per thousand.
  • Molalla area voters approved the formation of the Molalla Aquatic District with a permanent rate authority of 29¢ per thousand.
  • Boring Fire District voters approved the annexation to Clackamas Fire District #1 and will see an additional rate of 10.63¢ per thousand for bonded debt

Districts that levied less for bonded debt:

  • Oregon City
  • West Linn Wilsonville School District
  • Estacada School District
  • Oregon City School District

back to top

When will tax statements be mailed?

Property tax statements will be mailed to 174,654 real and personal property owners on Oct. 20 and 23

back to top

When are my taxes due?

Taxes are due every year on Nov. 15.

If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, the due date is the next business day.

A 3% discount is allowed if paying in full on Nov. 15.

Taxes can also be paid in three installments. There is no discount but interest is avoided if paying in thirds. Due dates for one third payments are Nov. 15, Feb. 15, and May 15.

back to top

I have a new mortgage company; will they pay my taxes this year?

Mortgage companies notify us by September 1st which accounts they expect to pay taxes on. Any changes between that time and November 15th are not reflected in our records. If you have any questions regarding who is paying your property taxes, we suggest you contact your new mortgage company. Please remember, you are ultimately responsible for paying your taxes timely.

back to top

What are Forestland Fire Protection Fees?

The Oregon Department of Forestry protects nearly 16 million acres, mostly private lands, from wildfire. Forestland owners in the North Cascade Fire Protection District will see the fire protection assessment with a minimum cost of $18.75 ($1.3374 per acre) and the surcharge for improved properties $47.50. For information you may contact the Clackamas County district office in Molalla at 14995 S Hwy 211 in Molalla – their phone number is 503-829-2216.

back to top

Are there any property tax benefits for senior or disabled citizens?

There is a deferral program offered by the State of Oregon that pays property taxes for those who qualify. The state places a lien on the property and allows repayment of the tax at a later time. You can read more about this at Senior and Disabled Citizens Tax Deferral.

back to top

Are there any property tax benefits for disabled veterans or widows of veterans?

There is an exemption of value that reduces your tax amount by an average of $350 per year. For more information about the exemption, please read Veteran's Exemptions.

back to top

Can I reduce my property taxes by growing trees on my land or farming it?

There are various deferral programs that can reduce your taxes. You may qualify by making an application with your county Assessor. For more detailed information about the different programs and qualification requirements, please read more at Farm and Forestland Deferrals. If you have additional questions, please call us at 503-655-8671 and ask to speak with one of our Farm and Forest appraisers.

back to top

What do I do if I sell my manufactured home?

To complete the process, you will need to do the following:

  1. Obtain a County Manufactured Home Ownership Document Application for New and Used Homes from the BCD website or from our office. The Assessor's Office will confirm that the taxes are paid in full and issue a Clackamas County tax certification. There is a $25 fee to process this form, which can be paid with cash or check. Bring or mail the form with your payment to our office at 150 Beavercreek Road in Oregon City, OR 97045. The form will be returned to you over the counter or by email or mail, and must accompany any forms submitted to BCD.
  2. Submit the DMV title or BCD ownership document signed off by the seller(s) and any lien holder(s)
  3. Pay a transfer fee of $55
  4. Pay all property taxes due for the current fiscal year at the time of the transfer (July 1 to June 30)

For more information visit Manufactured Structures.

Please be aware that tax payments and transfer fees are required to be secured by cash or certified funds. We do not accept personal checks for ownership transfers.

back to top

What do I do if I want to move my manufactured home?

First, you will need to secure a placement permit from your local Planning Department to be sure that the manufactured structure may be sited at the new location. When you have a placement permit from Planning, either the Assessor's office or a licensed mover can issue a trip permit. Only a licensed mover may move a manufactured home. There is a $5.00 fee per section; each section requires a trip permit. To obtain a trip permit for a home moving out of Clackamas County all taxes for the current fiscal year must be paid and information provided to us regarding the new location for the home. Please be aware that when obtaining a trip permit for a home to exit Clackamas County, the tax payments must be secured by cash or certified funds, we do not accept personal checks. You will receive a tax bill from the county where the manufactured home was sited on January 1 of the current year. A manufactured home that moves between January 2nd and December 31st will be moved and billed at the new location.

For more information visit Manufactured Structures.

back to top

I've built a new house, when do I start paying property taxes?

The assessment date for all property is January 1. This means new construction is valued at the percent completed on January 1st. If 50% complete, then a house is valued at half its market value, and the assessed value for tax purposes is adjusted to include this market addition using the Measure 50 rules. If construction on your house was started after January 1st, then you will pay tax only on the land until the following year.

back to top

What if I remodel or add a structure to my property?

The new improvements will be appraised at market value. The new taxable value is computed by adjusting the new additions market value with the Measure 50 rules. This gives new property a similar adjustment to other property that received the Measure 50, 1995 assessed value roll back

back to top

Why is my purchase price different than the Assessor's market value?

The Assessor's office does not automatically adjust market value to the selling price of a property. We consider all sales that occur in a neighborhood to arrive at a market value. The Assessor also uses a complex recalculation and sales analysis program to annually update market values.

back to top

What is the average tax rate in Clackamas County?

Clackamas County has about 357 tax code areas. The typical consolidated tax rate within cities runs from $14.40 to $22.62 per $1000 of assessed value. Outside cities they run from $10.03 to $18.58 of assessed value. Assessed values average about 68% of market value, however they are account specific.

If you want more specific information, please feel free to call our office at 503-655-8671

back to top

What will happen if real estate prices drop causing market values to fall below assessed values?

The real market value (RMV) on your tax statement represents the market value of the property as of January 1, each year. This is the estimate of value the property would have sold for on that date. It is important to understand that your property taxes are based on your assessed value, not market value. In most cases assessed values are significantly lower than market values. A decline in the market value does not automatically reduce your Measure 50 assessed value unless real market value falls below your maximum assessed value.

back to top

How is my Assessed Value calculated?

The assessed value (AV) on your tax statement is the value used to calculate your property taxes. For most property, the maximum assessed value was established in 1997 under Measure 50 by taking 90% of the 1995-96 market value and has continued to grow by 3% annually. If you have new construction, remodeling, or additions to your property, the assessed value may increase more than the typical 3%. These are examples of exceptions to Measure 50 that allow the property's assessed value to grow more than the typical 3%. New construction, additions, and remodeled properties do receive a Measure 50 benefit similar to existing property. The market value of the new construction is reduced by the ratio of the maximum assessed value to real market value of similar classes of property calculated county wide. Once a new assessed value is established, it then continues to grow by the annual 3% increase required by Measure 50.

back to top

What can I expect if I've recently been annexed to a city?

Your tax bill will include taxes for city services that you were not paying when in the unincorporated area.

back to top

Typical property tax changes for 2017-18*

Beavercreek 2.0%
Boring 4.75%
Canby (City) 3.5%
Canby (Rural) 3.5%
Carus 3.5%
Charbonneau 3.5%
Colton 3.75%
Damascus (City)  
-Centennial School Dist. 4.75%
-Gresham/Barlow School Dist. 17.75%
-North Clackamas School Dist. 3.75%
-Oregon Trail School Dist. 4.75%
-Estacada School Dist 1.75%
Estacada (City) 1.0%
Estacada (Rural) 0.75%
Gladstone (City)  
-Gladstone School Dist. 3.5%
-North Clackamas School Dist. 3.75%
-Oregon City School Dist. 2.25%
Happy Valley 3.75%
Lake Oswego (City) 10.0%
Lake Oswego (Rural) 11.5%
Molalla (City) 5.5%
Molalla (Rural 6.75%
Silver Falls School Dist. 3.25%
Mulino 6.75%
Milwaukie (City) 3.5%
(Unincorporated N Clackamas Area)
Newberg 3.0%
Oregon City (City) 2.0%
Oregon City (Rural) 2.25%
Portland (City)  
- Portland Sch. District 10.5%
- North Clackamas School Dist. 4.25%
Redland 2.0%
Riverdale 3.25%
Sandy (City) 3.5%
Sandy (Rural) 3.75%
Sherwood 6.75%
Sunnyside 3.75%
Tualatin 5.5%
Government Camp 3.75%
West Linn (City) 2.75%
West Linn/Wilsonville (Rural) 2.75%
Wilsonville (City)  
- West Linn/Wilsonville School 2.75%
- Canby School 3.5%

* The typical tax increases above reflect property taxes prior to any increase or decrease that may result from Measure 5. The Measure 5 limits and property taxes are calculated on a property by property basis. The increase or decrease in savings that occur from the Measure 5 limitation is dependent on the ratio of assessed value to real market value and the tax rates of the districts that provide service to a specific area. An increase in tax can result when real market value growth reduces the level of savings to the property from the prior year.

Clackamas County will have 27,483 accounts that receive some savings as a result of the Measure 5 limits. 8,857 accounts will see a decrease in taxes from the prior year. The real market value is the assessed value for 17,166 accounts and 5,616 of those accounts are residential, commercial, industrial, or manufactured structure accounts.

back to top