Weatherization and Energy Education

Clackamas County Weatherization Services helps low-income individuals and families increase the energy efficiency of their homes, reduce their energy costs, and improve the comfort, health and safety of their living environment.

What is weatherization?

Installing insulationWeatherization includes insulation, air sealing, and other measures that are designed to keep heat in the home during the winter and to keep it cool during the summer.

Blown-in ceiling/attic insulation prevents heat inside the home from leaking into attic spaces and escaping through the roof

Batts of insulation installed under the floor keep the floor warm.

Sealed, insulated ducts prevent warm air from the furnace from escaping into crawl spaces.

  • High energy costs are a financial burden for persons with limited income
  • Weatherization can help lower utility bills and save money for other important household purchases.
  • Weatherization Services program serves individuals and families living at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (see table below). Priority populations include the elderly, persons with disabilities, and families with children under the age of 18.
  • Weatherization is offered for single-family homes, mobile and manufactured homes, and under certain circumstances, multi-family units

To be eligible for weatherization assistance, a household's income must be at or below 200% of Federal Poverty Level. See the table below. The program bases these income levels on household income and household size.

200% of the Federal Poverty Level by Household Size

Effective as of 1-25-24 until further notice
Poverty Income Guidelines - Source: USDOE

Household Unit SizeGross Annual Income (before tax)Gross Monthly Income
For each additional member, add:10,760897

Apply for the Weatherization Waitlist

Why is energy education important?

While the weatherization measures installed on a home will improve the energy efficiency of clients’ homes, the measures will only be as effective as the clients’ ability to understand how the upgrades work. Energy education is provided to help clients save even more money by operating their homes in a way that best utilizes the improvements. Other energy-saving tips and supplies are provided to the client, as well.

Energy Education may also be offered at workshops scheduled throughout the county at places like Senior Centers, county meeting facilities, etc. Home visits may be arranged for persons needing accommodations — please call 503-650-3338 for more information.

LED light bulb

LED bulbs
LED bulbs, especially ENERGY STAR-rated products — use at least 75% less energy and last 25 times longer than incandescent lighting.


Shower timers
Reduce the amount of water used for showering. A 10-minute shower uses 25 gallons of water. 

Drying clothes outside

Hanging laundry
Hanging laundry to dry in the summer, instead of using the dryer, will save energy and keep your home cooler.

Average annual household savings due to improvements$884
Range of yearly household savings$100–$2,000
Average yearly reduction in energy use25%
Average number of homes weatherized every year by Clackamas County60

Other available services

Homeowners living in mobile home parks within Clackamas County may be eligible for the Roof Grant program. Contact Weatherization Services at 503-650-3338 to learn more about qualifying for this program.

Before and after of mobile home roof repair