Dog Licenses and Laws

All dogs in Clackamas County are required to be licensed. All county residents must purchase dog licenses from Clackamas County Dog Services, except people who live inside the city limits of one of the following three cities: Happy Valley, Lake Oswego or Tualatin, who have their own licensing programs for their cities.

Take the lead, tag your pup!It is the law (County Code and State law) to license your dog. But dog licensing also:

  • gives you around-the-clock notification via telephone if you lose your licensed pet and someone finds it
  • tells everyone that your pet is yours and is never mistaken as a stray
  • helps pay for the care of homeless animals while attempts are made to find them adoptable homes
  • provides emergency medical care if your dog is ever found injured
  • helps the county protect neighborhoods from dangerous dogs and investigate dog bite incidents
  • funds investigations of animal cruelty, abuse, abandonment and neglect
  • supports efforts to find good homes for stray dogs through our active adoption process

If you own or are keeping a dog in Clackamas County, you must purchase a license:

  • when the dog is 6 months of age or grows its permanent canine teeth, whichever comes first
  • within 30 days of becoming owner or keeper
  • within 30 days of moving to the county

Purchasing a Clackamas County dog license

You will need:

  • dog information (name, age, color, breed)
  • your veterinarian's name
  • current rabies certificate with vaccination and expiration date
  • proof of spay or neuter (if applicable)
  • method of payment

Where to buy a Clackamas County license

  • online
  • Clackamas County Dog Services (13141 SE Hwy 212, Clackamas, OR 97015) map
  • office of a participating local veterinarian

License fees

 Spayed/neutered dogFertile dog
1 year$30$50
3 years$90$150


13141 SE Hwy 212 Clackamas, OR 97015

Office Hours:

Adoption Hours:
Tuesday to Friday
1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Administrative Office Hours:
Monday to Friday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
(Closed from noon to 1 p.m.)