The intersection of Canby-Marquam Hwy and Lone Elder Road is a T-intersection that is stop-controlled on Lone Elder Road and uncontrolled along Canby-Marquam Hwy. The project will reconstruct the intersection and add a northbound left-turn lane. Congestion in the northbound direction on Canby-Marquam Hwy occurs in large part from vehicles waiting to turn left onto Lone Elder Road.
Projects funded through the new Community Road Fund will increase safety, relieve congestion and maintain local roads.
Preparing for construction
Updated: July 17, 2023
To reduce wait times on Canby-Marquam Highway at Lone Elder Road and create a safer intersection for all travelers.
- Design: March 2020 - Dec. 2021
- Right of way: Nov 2021 - Oct. 2022
- Construction: Aug. 2023 - Oct. 2023
- Rolling single lane closures and detours may be needed during construction during daytime hours.
- Design and right of way phases are complete. Estimating start date in mid to late June.
- Project estimate $1.1 million
- Funding is provided from the Community Road Fund and Countywide Transportation System Development Charges.
While installing stop signs may seem like a less expensive fix for this intersection, adding stop signs on a high speed road has proven to increase crashes, specifically rear end crashes.
By adding a northbound left-turn lane on Canby-Marquam Hwy, traffic will flow much more smoothly with fewer crashes at this intersection. The additional lane on Canby-Marquam Hwy will make left turns onto Lone Elder Road safer by providing an area for people to stop temporarily while they wait for the southbound lane to clear. Additional safety improvement include straightening Lone Elder Road at Canby-Marquam Hwy by adding left- and right-turn lanes for better sight distance and improved traffic flow.106241