Project description: One way that has been proven to decrease traffic crashes is to post safety signage alerting travelers to changing conditions ahead. The county has received a grant from ODOT to install over 2,500 curve and stop ahead warning signs throughout unincorporated Clackamas County to improve safety on our roads.
The traffic safety team has assessed and determined proper speeds to post at each road segment where curve warning signs will be installed.
Crash reductions associated with addition of curve warning signs (as compared to curves with no curve warning signs) are listed below.
- Curve Warning Signs w/ Speed Rider: 13% reduction in all fatal and injury causing crashes.
- Chevrons: 20%-35% reduction in fatal and injury causing crashes.
For more information, read the ODOT Fact Sheet on Updated Curve Warning Signs.
Status: In design
- Construction start: Summer 2020
- Construction complete: Summer 2024
Contact: Christian Snuffin, PE, Project Manager, CSnuffin@clackamas.us, 503-742-4716
Things to be aware of:
- Traffic impacts will be minor and limited duration.
Funding is provided from the ODOT All Roads Transportation Safety (ARTS) Program.