Flooding poses a threat to life and safety and can cause severe damage to public and private property. River levels in Clackamas County are monitored by a network of river gauges that help us predict the when peak water levels will occur in our communities. We also work with fire districts to provide sand bag distribution locations to assist residents in protecting their homes from flooding.
If you find yourself in a flood warning zone:
- Find safe shelter right away.
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Remember, just six inches of moving water can knock you down, and one foot of moving water can sweep your vehicle away.
- Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
Damage From Local Floods
Flooding events during the last 50 years have ravaged parts of Clackamas County. Some of the results of these events include:
- 1964 Christmas Flood Part 1: Clackamas-Willamette Confluence
- 1964 Christmas Flood Part 2: Sandy River
- When Christmas Was Canceled - Oregon City Shopping Center
- Delivering Mail During the 1964 Floo