Crashes at intersections with traffic signals involving trucks are often more serious than other vehicles. In partnership with the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), 33 traffic signals will be improved in the Clackamas and Wilsonville industrial areas.
Project in construction phase.
Updated: April 14, 2023
Improvements include upgrading traffic signal controllers, and installing radar detection, wireless interconnect and cameras that can move sideways, up and down and zoom in.
Radar detection will provide the ability to safely move truck traffic safely through an intersection by delaying the yellow light reducing unnecessary breaking and slow start-up times for truck traffic. In addition, radar detection provides accurate and on-going vehicle counts at key locations.
The functionality of these cameras allow county engineers to view traffic and signal conditions and make traffic signal changes remotely in real-time. Traffic signal views are available on ODOT’s TripCheck website.
Traffic signals will be improved in the following freight corridors/employment areas:
- Clackamas Industrial Area
- OR 224 between I-205 and Lake Road
- 82nd Dr between I-205 and Oatfield Road
- Sunnybrook Blvd between 84th Ave and 97th Ave
- Wilsonville Industrial Area
- 95th Ave between Boones Ferry Road and Boeckman Road
- Boones Ferry Road between Day Road and 95th Ave
- Elligsen Road between I-5 and Parkway Center Drive
- Wilsonville Road between Willamette Way East and Town Center Loop East
To improve safety and mobility for all users, especially freight operators.
The county began the planning phase in 2018 and design concluded in 2021. Installation of equipment will start in Nov. 2022. The project is expected to be complete by June 2023.
Minor and intermittent lane closures for traffic signal upgrades will be needed.
- Ordering materials
- Coordinating construction equipment and schedule
- Project estimate $2.5 million
- Project is federally funded through a Metro Surface Transportation Block Grant and a Clackamas County road fund match.