Historic Review Board to consider proposal Dec. 8
The Canby School District has applied to Clackamas County to demolish the White Building, a 1926 historic schoolhouse located next to Carus Elementary School at 14412 S. Carus Rd., Oregon City, at the corner of Carus Road and Highway 213.
The school district is in the process of selling the building for $1 with the understanding that the buyer will remove the building by March of 2023. The district intends to use the additional space to change traffic and parking patterns on the Carus Elementary School site to improve traffic safety on school grounds and at the adjacent intersection.
As an alternative, the school district has also asked the Clackamas County Historic Review Board to approve demolition of the building to ensure the district can move forward with plans to improve traffic flow even if they are not successful in selling the building to a buyer who will remove it.
The County Historic Review Board will consider the application and make a recommendation at a meeting scheduled for 7 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 8. The meeting will be held on Zoom. The public is welcome to attend remotely and participate in the public comment portion of the meeting. The link to the meeting will be available at www.clackamas.us/meetings/planning/historicreview/2022-12-08.
The two-story, 4,720-square-foot building, deeded to Clackamas School District #29 in 1885 by Isaac and Constance Farr, was completed in the craftsman style. It includes lap siding, exposed rafters, purlins and brackets, wood double-hung windows, gabled porch with enclosed balustrade and decorative truss, and a main entry paneled with transom and sidelights.
The White Building was used as a school until the 1970s, and as administrative offices until the early 2000s. It was left vacant in 2005. The front entry was gated off and the rear staircase was removed in approximately 2018.
The building's location on the site and separation from the main school building prevents it from meeting safety, ADA, seismic, and other requirements for a public school. With the proposed demolition, aspects of the building will be retained, including artifacts such as the exterior sign.
For more information, contact Principal Planner Joy Fields at JFields@clackamas.us or 503-742-4510, or see information about the Historic Review Board meeting at www.clackamas.us/planning/reviewboard.html#meetings.