Hazardous waste can pose a health and safety risk to you, workers, and the environment. These items should be properly disposed of at a household hazardous waste facility:
- Aerosol spray products
- Art and hobby chemicals
- Automotive fluids
- Fire extinguishers
- Household cleaners and disinfectants
- Mercury-container products (fluorescent light bulbs and tubes, thermometers, thermostats)
- Paints, stains, solvents and thinners
- Pesticides and poisons
- Pool and spa chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Sharps (medical syringes, lancets, etc.)
- Unwanted or expired medicines and drugs
- Full list of Household Hazardous Waste
Find a Disposal Location
View our Garbage and Recycling Transfer Stations and Depots page to find disposal locations throughout the county for common household hazardous waste, including the Metro South Household Hazardous Waste Facility.
Unsure where to properly dispose of an item? Use the Metro Find a Recycler tool or call 503-234-3000.
Disposal for Businesses
Take up to seven qualifying items at a time to an Oregon E-Cycles collection site for free recycling.
PaintCare makes it easy to recycle leftover paint, primers, stains, sealers, and more for no fee.
Learn the Oregon laws about containment and disposal of household medical sharps.