Short Term Rentals Regulations in Unincorporated Clackamas County

This page was last updated on April 23, 2024.

STR payments for a given calendar month are due by the 15th of the following month.

You may also mail or deliver checks/money orders to our offices at:

Clackamas County
c/o Short Term Rental program
2051 Kaen Road, Suite 490
Oregon City, OR 97045

Registration numbers: Each owner/operator is required to have a unique STR registration number. These numbers are created by simply adding "STR" in front of your existing Transient Lodging Tax (TLT) registration number. For example, if your TLT number is 784-21, your STR number will be STR-784-21. Review information about your TLT number.

All questions can be directed to

Registration forms

Per the regulations, registration for owners/operators is mandated. These forms were due by end of day on Dec. 6, 2023.

No STR may be publicly advertised for rent unless it has been registered with Clackamas County. STR owners/operators can download a registration form by clicking the button below:

STR Registration Form

The form be completed and emailed into, or mailed to the county’s finance department:

Clackamas County Finance Department
c/o STR Registration
Suite 490
2051 Kaen Road
Oregon City, OR 97045

Registration forms can also be delivered in person to the finance department as well. Appointments can be made by emailing

Within 30 days after receiving an accurate and complete registration form, county staff will provide registration confirmation.

STR owners will continue to pay the county’s transient lodging tax (TLT) of 6%, and pay a newly-enacted .85% STR user fee on total rental amounts. Payment of TLTs will continue to be made here

About the regulations

The Board of County Commissioners approved rules and regulations regarding STRs on Sept. 7, 2023. Residents are encouraged to review the STR regulations, which were adopted as presented.

The regulations took effect after 90 days (on Dec. 7, 2023), and only affect the unincorporated areas of Clackamas County – there is no effect on STRs located within city limits.

The Board of County Commissioners intends to revisit these regulations in two years in order to evaluate the cost and efficacy of the program and make a determination whether to continue, amend, or discontinue the regulations.

The first public hearing on this matter occurred on Thursday, Aug. 10, 2023. Review the agenda or watch the hearing. The second public hearing occurred on Sept. 7. Review the agenda or watch the hearing.

The Board of County Commissioners was effusive in their thanks to the many members of the public that provided testimony in person and over Zoom at both public hearings, as well as many more that emailed in their perspectives. Many changes were made to the proposed regulations in-between the time of the first and second public hearings. 

Prior to Dec. 7, 2023, Clackamas County had no STR regulations. The full regulations can be found here.

Regulations require all STRs in unincorporated Clackamas County to register with the county. The process is free and an in-home inspection is not required. When registering, the property owner and/or manager will certify that the property meets safety standards and that they will abide by the STR program rules. These include, but are not limited to:

  • STR owners will continue to pay the county’s transient lodging tax (6%)
  • The proposed STR regulations impose a .85% user fee on the total rental amount
  • No STR may be publicly advertised for rent unless it has been registered with Clackamas County
  • STRs shall comply with all building and fire standards
  • STR registration identification numbers shall be included on any advertisement or rental platform
  • Contact information of a party responsible for the STR shall be posted at all times while paying guests are on the property, in an area and size readily visible from the nearest public roadway. (Per the draft STR rental application, that person/company must be available 24/7 and able to respond to complaints within two hours. See pages 10-11.) 
  • The number of STR occupants shall not exceed the number authorized in the registration. Fifteen occupants is the maximum.
  • Notice shall be clearly posted in the STR that identifies and informs occupants of the county's noise control ordinance
  • Adequate parking – one off-street motor vehicle space per sleeping area – is required. There are exceptions to this for certain areas of the Mount Hood community (see “Updates since the first public hearing” below)
  • Vehicles shall never block access for emergency vehicles, access to the premise, or a parked motor vehicle. These violations, or other parking performed in a manner that violates the county’s current parking and towing ordinance standards, may subject the offending vehicle to immediate tow.
  • The proposed STR regulations do not apply to hotels, motels, bed and breakfast facilities, hostels, campgrounds, lodging and resort accommodations in commercial zones, recreational vehicle camping facilities, or organizational camps


Clackamas County encourages any residents/parties to cooperate directly to resolve conflicts arising from an STR. First attempts to remedy violations should be to contact the posted STR representative. If a person does not respond within 24 hours or does not adequately remedy the issue, the county should be notified. Further details:

  • Clackamas County reserves the right to immediately revoke registration if it determines an STR is a fire or life safety risk
  • Clackamas County reserves the right to review pertinent financial records or visit the STR to ensure violations have been resolved at any reasonable time
  • When noncompliance of the STR regulation is suspected, the county shall issue up to two warnings in writing
  • An owner that operates an STR without an approved registration or while suspended shall be subject to penalties

To report potential STR violations, please email


An ordinance approved by the Board of County Commissioners in December 2022 amended the Zoning & Development Ordinance (ZDO) to clarify that short-term (vacation) rentals are an allowed residential use in specific areas of unincorporated Clackamas County.

The action of the Board of County Commissioners in December 2022 followed Board approval in November 2022 of ZDO amendments to address issues that were remanded (sent back) to the county by the state Land Use Board of Appeals.

The approved ordinance:

  • Added a definition of “short-term rental” to ZDO Section 202, Definitions.
  • Added “short-term rental” as an allowed use of a dwelling unit or guest house in all zoning districts where dwelling units or guest houses are allowed, except for:
    • EFU, TBR, and AG/F districts and
    • Urban or rural reserves where state law prohibits allowing new uses that were not allowed when the reserves were designated.
  • Amended ZDO Section 833, Guest Houses, to remove text that specifically prohibits using a guest house as a source of rental income and replace it with text that clearly allows the rental of a guest house on a short-term basis. Specific facilities allowed and not allowed in guest houses are also being clarified.

Stay in touch



STR owners and interested parties with questions can contact the county's Finance Department by emailing


2051 Kaen Road Oregon City, OR 97045

Office Hours:

Monday to Thursday
7 a.m. to 6 p.m.