Dogs come to CCDS with a wide variety of needs. If you have an interest in dog training or experience with high-energy dogs, then a foster dog with training needs might be a great fit! We will provide training and support for any dog with training needs. Or perhaps you have experience providing treatment for dogs that have special medical needs and a medically fragile foster dog would be a match for your family. Our volunteer foster program could be a fantastic volunteer opportunity for you! Being a foster volunteer is a special calling that allows people to make a difference in a dog’s life. Volunteers help build a foundation of trust and teach skills that help these dogs be successful in their adoptive homes and out in the community. Fostering creates space in the shelter for other dogs to be reunited with their families or homeless pets find forever homes. Foster dogs provide companionship with a purpose. The whole community benefits from these generous acts of kindness.
What we expect from our foster volunteers
- Attend a volunteer information session and apply to become a foster volunteer
- Complete a foster application, provide proof of home ownership or landlord approval
- Complete a home inspection
- Complete an interview with our Coordinator
- Attend foster volunteer training
- Bring your own dogs and those you live with to the shelter for a "meet and greet" to ensure the foster dog is the right fit for your family
- Take your foster to at least one adoption event per month to meet potential forever homes
- Ensure your foster dog is wearing the provided “Adopt Me!” gear every time you go out for a walk, even in your own neighborhood
Attend a volunteer information session
Attend a volunteer information session to get started! Email email@example.com to receive a link when the next Zoom information session is held.