Located in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, Wilhoit Springs Park is one of Clackamas County's best kept secrets.
Wilhoit Springs is named after pioneer John Wilhoit who had a land claim on the location in the 1860s. Wilhoit then sold the property to a developer who turned the site into a spa and resort. Around the turn of the 20th century, Wilhoit Springs was one of Clackamas County's most popular tourist destinations. The resort later lost its popularity and closed in 1928.
Over several decades, Wilhoit Springs fell into disrepair. The county purchased the remaining 18.21 acres of the resort location in 1975. The purchase ensured continued public access to the mineral springs and surrounding old-growth forest. Because of its somewhat isolated nature, it retains much of the character of its original state.
There are two separate springs at the park:
- a soda spring where the water bubbles out of the ground. The mineral content includes: carbonic acid, sodium carbonate, calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and magnesium sulfate
- a sulfurous spring, where the water is heavier and less effervescent