Development Services

Our programs

New to the development process? No problem. We are happy to help!

The County Surveyor reviews and approves new subdivisions, lot line adjustments and partitions. They also maintain and restore public land corners, which are the monuments that establish the boundary (or perimeter) of all privately or publicly owned land within the state. 

They Surveyor can answer:

  • Why is a survey crew is working in my neighborhood or on my land?
  • How can I find out if a survey exists for my property?
  • Will the County survey my property for me?
  • How do I locate a licensed Professional Land Surveyor?
  • What's an easement?
  • What are public land corners?
  • Who's responsible for the restoration and maintenance of the monuments at the public land corner locations?
  • How do I find existing easements on my property?
  • More Frequently Asked Questions

The Planning & Zoning division verifies zoning, property setbacks and allowable uses. They'll also explain your project’s zoning code requirements.

Planning & Zoning can answer:

  • Is my property dividable?
  • Can I build a home on my property?
  • Is my property in Clackamas County?
  • How can I use my property?
  • Can I build an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?
  • Can I host wedding events?
  • Can I remove a tree from my property without a permit?
  • Can I operate a business from my home?
  • How do I move the property line I share with my neighbor?

Building Codes makes sure that buildings are planned and built according to structural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical codes. They'll help you get permits, construction inspections and certificates of occupancy.

Building Codes can answer:

  • What size shed can I put up without a permit?
  • When do I need a permit for plumbing or electrical work?
  • Do I need a permit for a fence?
  • How long does a plan review take?
  • Can you help me schedule an inspection?
  • Where am I on the list of inspections?
  • How do I get the permit history of a property?
  • What hours is construction noise allowed in unincorporated Clackamas County?
  • More Frequently Asked Questions

Septic makes sure that septic systems are properly designed and constructed. They also review proposed usage changes to existing systems.

Septic can answer:

  • I have undeveloped land and I want to install a septic system. What are my first steps?
  • How big does my property need to be to install a septic system?
  • How can I locate my septic system?
  • Can I renew, reinstate or transfer my current septic permit?
  • What are the different applications concerning existing systems?
  • How can I schedule an inspection on my new septic system?
  • How do I find the original permit or as-built for my septic system?
  • See more Frequently Asked Questions

Development Engineering issues permits and inspects on site and off site work for private development projects. We also permit and inspect work in the public right-of-way (ROW), including utilities, driveways, road work and other ROW activities.

Development Engineering can answer:

  • What type of permit do I need and what are the fees?
  • Do I need to get a permit to create a driveway to my property?
  • What can I expect during permitting and how long will it take?
  • What if I want to remove or replace a street tree?
  • How do I report a concern about a neighbor who has changed drainage on their property?
  • How do I determine if my neighbor has a permit to work?
  • How do I research existing easements on my property?
  • See more Frequently Asked Questions

Contact us

Still have questions? Contact us. Our customer service representatives are available to help.

Cell phoneGive us a call at 503-742-4400, Mon–Thurs, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m..
EmailVia email at
In person assistanceOr, you can stop by to obtain in person assistance at our counter during office hours.


Development Services is closed on the following holidays:  

  • New Year's Day (January 1)
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day (third Monday in January)
  • President's Day (third Monday in February)
  • Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
  • Juneteenth (June 19)
  • Independence Day (July 4)
  • Labor Day (first Monday in September)
  • Veteran's Day (November 11)
  • Thanksgiving Day (fourth Thursday in November)
  • Christmas Day (December 25)


150 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City

Office Hours:

Monday to Thursday 
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.