Development Engineering

Main Content

We review, issue, and inspect permits to help ensure the safety and quality of the transportation system.

Development Direct logo    
Our one-stop digital development services hub.

Use Development Direct to apply for...

  • All Development Engineering permits, including:
    • Development Permits
    • Entrance Permits (Driveway)
    • Right of Way Permits
    • Utility Permits
  • All Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical permits that require a plan review
  • Licensed contractor Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical permits that do not require a plan review
  • All Septic projects (except operation and maintenance reports)

Development Direct logo
Login to Development Direct

Instructions to submit using Development Direct

You must use the Chrome or Firefox browser to access Development Direct.

The following permits DO NOT require submission through Development Direct…

  • Basic Homeowner Electrical, Plumbing and Mechanical permits on your own residence or home-based business that do not require plan review
  • Planning/Land Use permits

To learn more and apply for these permits
Visit How To Apply for a Permit

We also work with the Planning & Zoning Division — and cities in the county — to review land use proposals for engineering requirements.

Please let us know how we're doing and how we can improve by taking this brief survey.


To schedule an inspection, follow the instructions on your permit. Your permit states what inspections are required. If you have requested an inspection and have not received a response within one business day, please contact us at or 503-742-4691 and reference your permit number. Please request inspections a minimum of 2 business days before.

Commonly Used Documents

  • Cash Acknowledgement Form
    Used when submitting a cash surety. Other forms of surety will be provided to you at your request.
  • Certificate of Compliance and Completion
    Used by the design engineer to certify the adequate completion of a project.
  • County Code
    County ordinances related to government administration, public improvements, public protection, vehicles and traffic, as well as the Zoning & Development Ordinance (ZDO) and Comprehensive Plan.
  • Design Modification Request Form
    Used when requesting a modification of the County Roadway Standards for your project. A fee applies.
  • Developer-Engineer Agreement
    Agreement between applicant and an engineer to provide inspection services.
  • Entrance Permit Matrix
    Provides the requirements for new, and modifications of, existing driveways for projects not subject to land use requirements.
  • Mailbox Installation Standards
    Guidelines to ensure your roadside mailbox is strong enough to stand up to the elements, convenient for the mail carrier to reach inside and installed to ensure safety for passersby.
  • Roadway Standards
    Sets the requirements for permit process, design, inspection and approval of work in the county right of way and private property.
  • Shrub, Groundcover, Riparian Plant List
    Suggested list of plants to be utilized in the county right of way.


Frequently Asked Questions


While there are some basic steps, the details and length of time of the process varies depending on the type of project. Learn more about the permit process.


If you are unsure of what permit you need, visit How to Apply for a Permit. Our fee schedule can help estimate the cost.


You can check the status of permits on any property in unincorporated Clackamas County . If you have applied for a permit, you can check the status of your application on Development Direct.  (Instruction for how to use Development Direct to check your project’s status are available on our user’s guide).


The county has limited jurisdiction over private property drainage issues.


Construction noise is allowed in unincorporated Clackamas County between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., seven days a week.  Details are in County Code Chapter 6.05.

If your construction project requires working outside those hours, you can apply for a variance by contacting the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office at or 503-785-5000. 


There are several ways you can learn about easements:

  • Contact the County Assessment & Taxation Department at 503-655-8671 or Ask for a copy of your property’s history card, and be prepared to know the address, tax account #, and parcel # of the property.  You can find your property's parcel number using our CMAP system.
  • Contact the County Clerk's Office at 503-655-8698. The Clerk’s Office offers free research facilities and for a fee you can print copies of recorded deeds.
  • Order a Preliminary Title Report or a Lot Book Report from a title company. The typical cost is $200–400.
  • Review the title policy you purchased with the purchase of your property.
  • Hire a private surveyor and/or an attorney to research the information for you.

Without a permit you are allowed to do a number of things as long as the activity does not require traffic control including:

  • Perform simple maintenance including driveway (not paving) and driveway culvert maintenance and the cleaning of a sidewalk.
  • Gravel road maintenance that does not significantly modify drainage (not paving).
  • Plant and maintain vegetation (including street trees). Reduction in the number of street trees from a planter strip are reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Division.
  • Install fences that don’t block the visibility of driveways or intersections and are not safety hazards.
  • Install a mailbox that is compliant with USPS and County standards.

Permits are required for a number of things, including:

  • Performing roadway improvements beyond maintenance.
  • Installing structures such as walls, bridges or fixed objects that could be a hazard to travelers.
  • Installing traffic control devices or signs, flag or otherwise control traffic.
  • Installing speed bumps.

These are not exhaustive lists. If in doubt, please the types of permits we offer, or contact us at or 503-742-4691.

  • Property owners are responsible for maintaining and repairing the sidewalks and curbs in front of their property, including vertical displacements and cracks. A permit is required for you to make such repairs. 
  • Property owners also own, and are responsible for, maintaining vegetation in the right of way — including street trees planted between the curb and sidewalk. Planting or maintenance of this vegetation does not require a permit as long as it doesn't block visibility or create a hazard for travelers or require traffic control.

Please contact or 503-742-4691 if you have questions.



150 Beavercreek Road, Oregon City

Office Hours:

Monday to Thursday 
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Related News
Transportation and Development, Building Codes, Development Engineering