Join ClackCo Sustainability staff to talk about multifamily garbage and recycling from the comfort of your home, office, or home office!
Learn how to join this event
Oregon’s Opportunity to Recycle Act requires property managers of multifamily communities with 5+ units to: (1) provide residents with access to recycling (mixed and glass) and (2) educate residents at move-in and at least annually, thereafter. We can help by offering recycling resources and services to meet the unique needs of your community.
Request Outreach Materials and Assistance
We offer free recycling resources and services to meet the unique needs of multifamily communities. This includes:
- recycling guides for new resident move-in packets - available in five languages,
- easy-to-read recycling stickers for bins and signs for enclosures,
- presentations, trainings, and events for residents of multifamily communities,
- and more!
Request resources and assistance via the order form.
Sign up for our quarterly e-newsletter today to receive hints, tips and reminders for property managers, staff, and residents. Content can be shared, copied, and inserted into your own community newsletters.
Tips for Success
Download our waste reduction and recycling rating tool to help identify opportunities for improvement in your community.
Having a successful garbage and recycling system in your community benefits everyone: property managers, residents, maintenance staff, and the collector. It can also help keep your costs manageable and predictable. Below are a few things you can do to get your community off on the right foot (don’t hesitate to contact us for help):
- Ensure garbage, mixed recycling, and glass recycling are available on-site (studies show for best results, place all three containers together).
- “Right-size your service” – make sure you have enough container space (no overflow), but not too much (consistently empty space adds to your costs).
- Encourage residents to recycle correctly by providing educational materials.
- Don’t let overflow or bulky waste accumulate – it only encourages more! Contact your collector for pick-up.
- To effectively manage bulky waste, have a plan:
- Provide our Reuse Flyer at move-out for donation options
- Designate a place for residents to place their bulky items that does not cause safety concerns or block access to garbage and recycling
- Develop a cost-sharing plan for residents and property managers to split the cost of disposal of large, unwanted items
- Reuse is a great alternative to waste - plan an annual or ongoing swap event for residents to swap unwanted items (large or small).
Dispose of Waste
- Illegal dumping
- E-cycles (desktops, laptops, tablets, monitors, TVs, and printers)
- Fluorescent lamp recycling
- Hazardous waste
- Donate usable building materials, appliances, and fixtures
- Shopping Cart Return: Not all stores participate in these collection services, so you may need to contact the store directly
Opportunities for Multifamily Communities
- Incentives offered through Energy Trust of Oregon for energy-saving retrofits such as window replacements, insulation, sealing gaps and cracks, and heating and cooling systems.
- Discounted paint through MetroPaint
- Become a Leader in Sustainability – join the network of other sustainable businesses in Clackamas County